Gambling has been and always will be a polarizing topic. Everyone has their personal biases, dissenting opinions, and differing views. However, gambling is one of the all-time favorite pastimes from generation to generation. Contrary to popular beliefs, gambling, if taken seriously, has its own advantages, pros, and flair. Intelligent people have not taken a stride against praising its beauty. Which gambling quote do you like? Let’s look at 10 Great Gambling Quotes that any average Joe or elite casino player can live by.
10. “Gambling has held human beings in thrall for millennia. It has been engaged in everywhere, from the dregs of society to the most respectable circles.” Peter L. Bernstein
Starting off, this quote from Mr. Bernstein reminds us that gambling is encompassing. Its age is as old as human themselves. Nothing is really new about gambling and it will continue to thrive as long as humans live.
9. “I figure you have the same chance of winning the lottery whether you play or not.” Fran Lebowitz
A quote that makes even the brightest philosophers think. For if the chances of winning is the same in not playing and playing and the winning prize is only given to those who play, then why not join and start playing.
8. “If you must play, decide upon three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time.” Chinese Proverb
Chinese thousand years of culture have cracked the essence of gambling long before Western culture even caught in the game. True masters in the craft, they even thought of the importance of quitting before the rest of the world knew the addicting dangers of gambling.
7. “At the gambling table, there are no fathers and sons.” Chinese Proverb
Another Chinese addition to our list, this only proves the striking nature of gambling. One cannot trust anyone except himself. Families and friends don’t matter as long as the game goes. People may share winnings afterwards, so there’s really no harm in following this gem.
6. “Quit while you’re ahead. All the best gamblers do.” Baltasar Gracián y Morales
An important yet oftentimes overlooked part in gambling is knowing when to quit. While the Chinese have long known the importance of quitting, it is important to note that western civilization has figured it out and added it to their gaming regimen.
5. “I want people to understand, gambling is not a bad thing if you do it within the framework of what it’s meant to be, which is fun and entertaining”. Michael Jordan
Even the greatest basketball player of all time knows and shares the noble spirit of gambling. Just as with everything else, gambling has its pros and cons, and when used correctly and according to its purpose, it is truly amusing and pleasurable.
4. “In gambling the many must lose in order that the few may win.” George Bernard Shaw
The famous playwright has his own views cemented in the gambling world when he said this statement. This gambling quote exposes the pro-house aspect of casinos, where the odds are almost always against the players. Such is life.
3. “Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of our humanness. We gamble. Some do it at the gaming table, some do not. You play, you win, you play, you lose. You play.” Jeanette Winterson
Knowing that the odds are almost always against the favor of players does not deter the best casino enthusiasts. For them, gambling is not about winning or losing; it is their way of life. Simply put, players play, win or lose.
2. “Eat your betting money but don’t bet your eating money.” Anonymous
Perhaps the most useful gambling quote comes from an unnamed writer. Its anonymous characteristics even speak louder than itself, as it can be applied anywhere, anytime. Gambling involves money and gamblers should know their own limitations. Always bet according to your budget and needs, not based on others and personal wants.
1. “True luck consists not in holding the best of the cards at the table; luckiest is he who knows just when to rise and go home.” John Milton Hay
Lastly, gambling always involves luck. No matter how good you think you are, the greatest denominator in gambling is chance—a pure coldhearted luck. In any case, luck can be calculated to increase it in your favor. You just need to accept the outcome, learn what to do next of whether to bet again or try your luck next time.