Gambling has always been a man’s activity. However, in the growing online gambling industry, this perspective is changing as more and more women are actively participating in gambling. This participation may lead to the buildup of gambling dependence resulting in bad habits if not properly controlled and maintain.
Women are hence affected by gambling addiction and not only men in general. Therefore, women who are considered gamblers have been battling gambling dependence within themselves. They often experience lost and impatient towards their gambling behavior. Indeed, gambling is a powerful influence on a person’s character. It might change your actions that lead to risking money, losing time and sense of oneself. Here, we give you a brief insight into gambling addiction and treatments applicable to women.
Gambling Addiction to Women
Gambling addiction was most commonly seen in men. But, because of increasing engagement in women to gambling, more female players are at risk of developing gambling habits. Therefore, gambling to women has become a stress reliever for some of them and turns out to be an escape solution from the pressure they usually get. Without thinking that problems, later on, arise from it, that is gambling addiction.
Another thing is, the growing popularity of online gambling had taken up women to have an active role in the gambling industry. Unfortunately, women playing in casinos are not yet fully recognized compared to men. This lack of acknowledgment of gambling to women; makes it more difficult for them to express their gambling issues to family members, close friends, and counselors.
Treatments for Compulsive Gambling
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – This treatment has shown impressive results in gambling addiction. The therapy begins when a mental health practitioner helps women with insisting on issues to identify and address what causes the problem. The therapy substitutes unhealthy gambling to a positive note.
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Program – This program requires a person who has an underlying addiction to stay in a treatment center for 30 days to 1 year. This is to further avoid casinos and other gambling venues.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Program – This program is commonly used by gambling addicts. In this type of treatment, the gambler will attend classes at a facility; either it is per group sessions or one by one therapy.
- 12 Steps Program by Gamblers Anonymous – These 12 steps will help you to defeat gambling addiction in simple ways. This recovery program is another helpful alternative solution if you can’t afford a pricey treatment.
- Lifestyle Changes – Set your lifestyle as clean as possible like avoiding gambling opportunities from rising. Identify your triggers of addiction beforehand to keep you from chasing casinos. This way, you prevent self-destructive problems of gambling.
- Medication – Mood stabilizers and antidepressants can help to reduce symptoms and illnesses that sometimes appear with gambling addictions. Some medications stop the urge to gamble.
- Self-help Groups – Some people find that talking with others is a helpful part of treatment to address their gambling problems. To be part of the self-help group, ask your health care practitioner for inquiry and advice.
Gambling Addiction Symptoms
The signs of gambling addiction for women include:
- Need to gamble when there’s an increase in income.
- Impatience or irritability when trying to stop gambling.
- Thinking often about gambling.
- Gambling when feeling distressed.
- Feeling the need to be secretive about gambling.
- Having trouble controlling gambling habits.
- Experience personal relationship problems.
- Ask money on other people to spend on gambling.
Getting Help to Quit Gambling
To quit gambling addiction is a major reboot, and it is difficult to alter the habit you’ve created within yourself. Anyway, it can be done with the solid support of people around you and the treatment program you’ve entered. It is tough at the beginning but when you’re on the road to achieving success, you will heal along the process. Therefore, through the help of medical professionals who will help you throughout the journey. And the roles of supportive family and friends that can help you accomplish the full recovery. Hence, it can achieve quitting if all by means if you’re willing to break the habit you’ve developed inside you.